NOTE: Each Variable Pack includes detailed installation instructions, pertinent to the fonts needed. Some packs require creating Character Catalog items using FrameMaker’s Character Designer for a specific font. While the steps below indicate three fonts (Wingdings, Cambria, and Cambria Math), not all are needed for every pack.
When you order one or more Variables Packs, please specify the file types you want: FrameMaker 15 (2019) native files (*.fm) and/or Maker Interchange Format (*.MIF) version 7 files. PDF files are also available as reference (showing the characters, fonts, and Unicode).
The following installation instructions are generic; please see the specific instructions included with every Variable Pack.
Installing some of these variable packs can also include creating needed Character Catalog items prior to importing and using the variables in your FrameMaker working document.
IMPORTANT: The Wingdings font (Wingding.ttf) should be on your Windows/Apple system. Wingdings has been installed in every release of the Windows OS since version 3.1.
You can download and legally use Wingdings, Cambria, and Cambria Math fonts provided you have Microsoft Word or Microsoft Office installed on your system. If you don’t have these applications on your system:
If you have a local Microsoft Word installation, such as in /Applications, please find the bundled fonts in the locations itemized below:
- /Applications/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/Resources/DFonts
- /Applications/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts (for earlier versions)
The same should apply to other Office applications as well, and then copy the fonts to: ~/Library/Fonts.
- Wingdings, Cambria, and Cambria Math fonts are part of Microsoft Typography. For redistribution and usage, please see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/fonts/font-faq
Part 1 – Creating the Character Catalog Entry
- Ensure both the Variable file and also your working document are open and available. In your working document, proceed as follows:
- Open the Character Designer panel and create a new Character Catalog item with the following:
- Style = Wingdings (Cambria, Cambria Math)
- Family = Wingdings (Cambria, Cambria Math)
- Size the character according to your need.
- It’s important to spell the Style name correctly, as shown above. If the spelling and case are not consistent, the characters/glyphs will be incorrect.
- Use the same steps above to create Character Catalog items for Cambria and Cambria Math.
Part 2 – Importing the New Variables into Your Working Document.
- With your working document in focus, go to File » Import » Formats.
- Deselect all using the Deselect All button at the near lower right.
- Enable the tick box for Variable Definitions (Checked).
- Use the Import from Document drop-down to select the variable pack file (native FrameMaker file).
- Click the Import button at the lower left.
The new imported variables are now available in your working document. I suggest saving your working document immediately.